Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Cutting Kids Hair.

As a mother I know that when I look at my child's hair when it is to long I think, "that mop needs to be cut!" As a hair stylist when a child sits in my chair and starts to scream I think "Am I more mad at the parent who is making this poor child get tortured or the dang child for screaming for no reason?" Then I think I never want to do hair again! But I smile and I try really hard to not cut my finger or this wiggly kids ear. And I tell the parents that its OK, when really I want to scream myself. So I am going to offer some advice.

1. when you are going to take your child to get a haircut at a salon, don't make it a big deal. When you start bribing them and telling them its going to be fun and yada yada yada that triggers a Oh crap this is going to be scary!! So just don't make a big deal and it wont be.

2. If you kid does start to scream and kick and freak out, just leave. Is it really that important that your 2 year old gets a trim? No.

3. Get your haircut first. Let them sit on a stool next to you while you get a cut, then have them go next. This way they see you do it and are not scared, Especially for boys. When a boy sees dad getting the clippers, he wont be so afraid of the noise they make. At my salon my woman's cuts are $35 but I only charge $10-$15 for kids and then its a one stop.

So don't be a crazy parent that thinks your kid needs a trim, they usually don't unless they have a mullet.

2 comments:

Linny said...

hmmm.. i think i have a mullet..

Shawn said...

sounds like someones getting a little preachy